Thursday 28 January 2016

South Indian & coastal food @ Peninsular Kitchen

Viharin.com- Peninsular Kitchen
Peninsular Kitchen
Once my cousin had told me about Peninsular Kitchen. Me and my husband decided to go. Initially somehow I thought it would be like a normal south Indian restaurant in Delhi but then upon reading its menu, I realized, its an authentic South Indian restaurant offering the cuisine that one will actually get down south. When few years back I had gone to Bangalore, I realized there is so much to South Indian cuisine apart from just dosa , sambhar. Similar situation happened when I travelled to Kerala. In both the trips, I had actually experienced South Indian food.
Viharin.com- Entrance of Peninsular Kitchen
Entrance of Peninsular Kitchen
In Delhi again until I started with Viharin.com, south Indian food to me was still Dosa Sambhar, vada, uttapam etc and limited only to few famous restaurants.
As we entered the Ambiance Mall, level 3, Peninsular Kitchen stood bold and strong at a very prime location surrounded with Republic Day celebrations. At the entrance, it was a very nice and comfortable seating arrangement depicting boats and sea waves. Furniture, walls and floor were very nicely jelling with each other to create a perfect ambiance for a nice dining experience. Soothing music was playing at the background. Light brown colour furniture added to the overall ambiance.
Viharin.com- Ambiance
Ambiance
Viharin.com- Seating
Seating
As we seated, we were greeted by owners, very lovely hosts Ms. Anshu and Mr. Gaurav Goel.who told us how while living in Mumbai, they had got fascinated with coastal and South Indian cuisine. Gaurav wanted to fulfill his dream to open a restaurant since his Hotel Management days. Anshu being from HR background combined with her culinary and creative skills joined hands with Gaurav to realize their dream in Delhi. Food totally inspired by South Indian and Coastal regions. In a way since they tried to touch cuisine of Peninsular region, hence the name Peninsular Kitchen.

Food at Peninsular Kitchen

As part of a welcome drink, we were offered salted buttermilk which was served in traditional Indian ceramic pots. I loved those lovely pots and the salted buttermilk. Pots specially took me to the historical era of 'khullars' in which ancient India used to have their drinks.Then we were served with Kokum Kadi. It was spicy but good.
Viharin.com- Chutneys and salted buttermilk with chips
Chutneys and salted buttermilk with chips

In a while we ordered Stir fried chicken, slow fried mutton, Chicken Chettinad and Kerala Fish fry. I loved stir tried chicken. It was delicious and nicely cooked. Chicken pieces melted in my mouth. This is a Kerala dish with a lot of Masala. A must try.

Nidhi KM
Viharin.com- Stir fried chicken
Stir fried chicken


No comments:

Post a Comment