Friday 11 September 2015

A trip to the end of the world, Ushuaia- Argentina!

Buenos Aires obelisco monumental tower
Buenos Aires obelisco monumental tower
I was eagerly waiting to touch the ground of Argentina. Curious to take off with chapter 4 of the journey post our incredible experiences of Asia, Australia and Africa. I had my own curiosity for Argentina, we being aliens in terms of language and people. To overcome this challenge, we already had our own CD and book translators and some phone apps too! Soon the plane landed at Buenos Aires and we headed for the immigration counter. I was a little apprehensive but tried my best to answer all the questions with total confidence and cleared the first major step of immigration.
After picking our bags, we started our drive to the hostel in a cab. Wow! The fresh breeze and fragrance of Argentina embraced me and I got lost in my own thoughts of glaciers, people, homes and atmosphere of Argentina.
Scenic
Scenic
What happened next was quiet strange for me. We had to stop by the Shipping Agent's office, to produce licence, passport and other documenys to get our vehicle cleared. Nora, a lady who worked in that office was supposed to help in the process. She greeted me with a kiss on my cheek leaving me puzzled. Someone explained to me that this is the culture of greeting in Argentina! Whoever meets whoever irrespective of friends or stranger or gender, this is the way of greeting. I asked him if he kissed men too everyday :-)  to which he replied, hesitantly 'no, I just shake hands'. :-)
After getting our documents cleared, our vehicle was to be handed over the next day. So, we had afternoon till night to us which we spent strolling and looking around, experiencing various fragrances of restaurants, observing people kissing each other on the cheek. It was a fabulous time spent. Argentina appeared to be a vibrant place with people having fun around. After having some snacks, we took a cab back to hostel to simply doze off.
Route - 3 Argentina
Route - 3 Argentina
Next day , we headed to the port for our vehicle clearance. Our shipping agents’ were already waiting for us. I requested the driver to open the container. As it opened, we saw our lovely "Forrest" and drove it back to our hostel and parked in secured parking. Next day, we went to La Boca, which is popularly known as the place used by new immigrants. You can see tango dancers here and even take a photo or dance with them for a small fee.


Article by Tushar Agarwal
Photo credits Tushar Agarwal

No comments:

Post a Comment