Tuesday 2 June 2015

Restaurant review- The California Boulevard, Gurgaon

Viharin. com- The California Boulevard
The California Boulevard
The California Boulevard, like all other uber eating joints looked cheerfully inviting. For some reason I these days suspect this cheeriness as a comouflage for what the food - the key passion - may not achieve. I had bet my Friday lunch to prove the hypothesis - wrong...
And wrong it did prove.
Viharin.com- Ambiance at The California Boulevard
Ambiance at The California Boulevard
Instead of telling you nice things about the place... I will dive straight into the culinary experience that, that Friday afternoon was. The meal started with the customary glass of lemon soda. I think this summer... nothing else but a chilled and icy lemon drink with plenty full mint does the trick... so there it was the amply minty glass of soda.
Viharin.com- Indian chaat
Dilli ki chaat
The next sight was a lo and behold... The traditional sampler of Indian 'Dilli ki chaat' with a healthy twist. No it wasn't your dahi papdi/ bhalla or anything that will bury your appetite in that stomach.A single crispy spinach leaf laced with dahi and chutney ( meethi and teekhi)t didn't sink... but 'the crunchy meets it mettle in a tangy mix' brought my appetite alive.
Viharin.com- Sushi Paneer and Tangy butter mushrooms
Sushi Paneer and Tangy butter mushrooms
This was followed by innovation by the Chef- honestly I would not give it a Michelin. .. 1. Because I'm not that accomplished a culinary crusader... and 2. Because that is reserved for gods.... what I will tell you is... These were honest efforts at teasing the appetite... and that worked well in my case.The veg sushi... A very delicately rolled spinaah mix combed inside a delicate almost quivering roll of paneer. Left me wondering wow...
What followed left me wondering about the chefs ingenuity.... mushrooms and Singhadey ki Gilaouti... I've never been a fan of water chestnuts, but this one turned me in.
Viharin.com- Peri Peri Crispy Chicken and Kaffir Lime Chicken Tikka
Peri Peri Crispy Chicken and Kaffir Lime Chicken Tikka
Then came the non veg starters...Peri Peri Crispy Chicken sticks, carrefour lemon tandoori chicken and thai chicken.... I took time to evaluate one over the other... The thai spicy chicken was bursting with flavours with lemon grass being the pre dominant one...The carrefour lemon chicken tandoori surprised me with the new flavour that my tandoori had never had... and the peri peri... A subtle flavour. Though my first portion of peri peri almost rolled off the plate since it was too crispy to cut with the knife...

Article by Vikrant

No comments:

Post a Comment